[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Magnifier system

Greetings all,

I really appreciate all the input and explanations about the tesla
magnifier. Is the only published research on this done by the Corums? Or is
there possibly some similar research done on say the properties of
high-turn helical antennas that might apply to the tesla magnifier?

Also as an aside, could somebody please clarify for me what the distinction
is between an "Oudin Coil" and a standard tesla primary/secondary or the
tesla magnifier? I have only come across brief mentions of Oudin Coils in
the literature I've read--only enough to confuse me how they differ from
Tesla coils!

But now in a more practical sense, what might be the optimum dimension
ratio of height to diameter for the magnifier to produce maximum output
voltage for a given length of wire? I mean from a theoretical point of view
in terms of how it affects the L and C of the coil, but I also hope that
those who have built magnifiers would please jump in and relate what they
have learned from their experiments! Anyone in TCBOR would please care to
comment? :)

And little has been said yet about the actual tesla coil that drives the
magnifier: to get maximum energy transfer from the tesla coil to the
magnifier (for max spark output), ideally shouldn't we try to match the
impedance (at resonance) of the magnifier to the equivalent impedance
looking back into the tesla coil (i.e. a thevenin equivalent impedance)?
What would this mean then for designing the best match between magnifier
and tesla coil?

Big thanks to all who have the patience to answer all my questions! :) I
can't help but being intrigued by the properties of the magnifier though.

Jeff