[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capacitor charge, were is it?

Hi all,
          I know this somewhat diverging from the business at hand but
I did want to inject a couple of thoughts to Greg's excellent post:

> > >Do not electrons exhibit constant acceleration in their orbits around
> > nuclei?
> >
> > Yes and what a piece of magic this is to receive no natural input energy
> > and continuously accelerate forever and a day!  (free energy anyone?)
> > another marvel of man's twisted logic.  It is all explained well by what
> > I consider totally bogus theory.  R. Hull
>
> There's actually nothing twisted or bogus about it.  Centripetal
> acceleration doesn't change the speed of a body in a circular
> orbit, so no energy need enter (or leave) the system in order for
> things to be stable.  The orbit of the earth around the sun has
> been demonstrating this for the last 4.5 billion years.

I have always wondered why the controversy about electrons not
spiralling into the nucleus. The question I've always asked myself is
"why should they?"

> > > Your implication that Newtonian physics, ie. F = MA, doesn't hold at
> > > relativistic velocities and very small size scales.
> >
> > It holds perfectly for all velocities and for matter particles only!  EM
> > waves are not matter, photons are not matter! R. Hull
>
> Although it's true that photons don't have a rest mass, they
> certainly do have mass (in every literal sense of the word) when
> propagating through space.  A photon's mass can be calculated:
> Photon Energy = h x v, where v = photon frequency and h = Planck's
> Constant E = MC^2,    so Photon Mass = Photon Energy/C^2
>
> F = MA does in fact hold for photons, as evidenced by the fact
> that gravity can bend light.  The light from distant stars is quite
> noticably bent by the gravitational pull of the sun.

I think not only that, but there is a speed limit n'est pas?

<big snip>
Malcolm