[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Water caps for TC use.

Tesla List wrote:

> >From pgantt-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-comSun Nov  3 22:48:42 1996
> Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 16:49:01 -0800
> From: pgantt-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com
> To: tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Water caps for TC use.
>
> On 11/01/96 22:25:28 you wrote:
> >
> >>From chip-at-poodle.pupman-dot-comFri Nov  1 22:18:38 1996
> >Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 22:03:26 -0700 (MST)
> >From: Chip Atkinson <chip-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> >To: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> >Subject: Water caps for TC use.
> >
> >Greetings,
> >
> >While water has a dielectric of 80 (I believe I saw that figure),
> >doesn't barium titanate have a dielectric that is even higher?
> >
> >I know that barium titanate caps are known to be lossy, but how would
> >one prove that water wasn't lossy?
> >
> >Also, (NOT spoken as a moderator) isn't the discussion of water caps kind
> >of moot since it is nearly impossible due to solubility of other
> >substances?
> >
> >Chip
> >
> I think it is only and engineering problem to prevent ionic migration into
> the water of a water filled cap.  Quite simply, use an insulator to prevent
> ionic migration from the metal into the water.
>
> Phil Gantt (pgantt-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com)
> http://www-dot-netcom-dot-com/~pgantt/intro.html

Nice try, but no cigar!  Nature has covered that base and the pooch is
screwed again.  Remember, the reason for using water?  Dielectric (K=80).
plastics, even the best are in the K=3 range.  Just like series
capacitors, dielectric constants of series dielectrics act to yeild a
value like paralleled resistors.

Lets look at a 10 square inch plate area and 2 plates.  Lets use
water only 10 mils thick.  That is a total capacitance of 18,000pf.
Nice!!!   Now lets add in series (2) 1 mil thick pieces of
polyethylene.(to separate the water from the metal plates)  That now adds
a series capacitance of 515pf for a total capacitor value of 500pf water
and all!  Down just slightly from 18,000 pf!

  If this could have been done, it would have been done.  What one hand
giveth the other takes away, while the foot kicks you in the gonads.
Don't be sad. It's just nature's way from keeping things from getting to
out of hand locally, and keeping the universe safe from the acts of men.

Richard Hull, TCBOR