[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: dielectrics

Tesla List wrote:

> >From pierson-at-msd26.enet.dec-dot-comSat Nov  9 21:47:55 1996
> Date: Sat, 9 Nov 96 16:38:01 EST
> From: pierson-at-msd26.enet.dec-dot-com
> To: mail11:  ;
> Cc: pierson-at-msd26.enet.dec-dot-com
> Subject: dielectrics
>
> 1) Really Pure water is a lovely dielectric.  Some of the energy i use to
> send this comes down a 1 MV DC tie to Hydro-Quebec in Canada, the terminal
> station is about 10 mi from here.  Got the tour once.  SCR swiches, stacked,
> to hold off the 1M are triggered by optical lines, to synthesize 60Hz
> three phase.  They are cooled by a wonderful, high tech, environementally
> safe insulating fluid.  (You peeked...)  Really Pure Water...
>
> 2) Having flogged thru the 'where is the charge thread', i ponder:  what sort
> of experiment WITH A VACUUM CAP can be done to investigate?
> 'boxing the vacuum' adds more dielectrics, which will confound the investigator.
> Possibly a purpose built cap, with movable plates, maybe rollable, like a
> window shade (all inside the vacuum...) space.
>
>         unroll electrodes.
>         charge.
>         deroll electrodes.
>
>         IS there 'something' on the vacuum?
>
>         Mayhap build in two sets of electrodes.
>         charge with -first- set.
>         roll up first set.
>         unroll second set.
>
>         Do they show a charge?
>
> 3) The last couple of issues of Scientific American have had some vacuum
> technique articles that may be of interest.
>
>         regards
>         dwp

DWP,

I have several vacuum variable caps by Jennings.  They are all in the
300-20pf range and work just great.  I recently saw a 50 lb Jennings unit
at Gaithersburg!  It was a .002ufd 50KV variable vacuum cap!  I have
never seen one that big before.  They wanted $150.00 for this beauty, but
I had to pass it by.  Vacuum variables work just like any other cap only
space is the dielectric.

Richard Hull, TCBOR