[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capacitor charge, were is it?

At 05:25 AM 11/10/96 +0000, you wrote:
>> Subject: Re: Capacitor charge, were is it?
>
>From harris-at-parkave-dot-netSat Nov  9 21:49:11 1996
>Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 20:50:37 -0400
>From: Ed Harris <harris-at-parkave-dot-net>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Capacitor charge, were is it?
>
>    [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]
>    [Your display is set for the "US-ASCII" character set]
>    [Some characters may be displayed incorrectly]
>

>> From couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-netFri Nov  8 22:14:57 1996
>> Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 08:19:32 +0000
>> From: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
>> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>> Subject: Re: Capacitor charge, were is it?
>> noises and sparks indicating energy losses. Obviously these losses
>amounted
>> to 50% because the voltage dropped to V/2. Thank you for making those
>tests.
>> I was concerned that we could not account for the losses. Energy is
>conserved!
>>

>Not so fast! Richard's experiment did not prove that energy was conserved.
>In fact
>he showed that 50% of the energy was unaccounted for. The answer is that it
>was lost to generating sparks and heating resistors, but his experiment did
>not
>account for the loss mechanism. You would have to put the discharge
>resistor
>in a calorimeter or the like to make sure that you really KNOW where the
>energy went. If you don't believe in conventional physics explainations,
>why should
>you even believe in energy and energy conservation anyway?

------------------------------------->

-Ed Harris

 You do not need a calorimeter (Joules has already done that) to see where
the energy went. A resistor can be substituted for the sparks. According to
Joules law when you pass a current thru a resistor the energy loss is RI^2t.
By substituting a resistor and doing this calculation you can find how much
energy loss was in the resistor and sparks. Joules law is shown in the high
school physics books.

I do believe in energy conservation and have always found that it is correct
when the experiments and the calcs are done correctly. You can use these
calcs to find the losses and voltage (not V/2) across the caps when the
capacitors are not equal.

Jack C.