[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primary Ballasts for Pole Pigs

Tesla List wrote:

> >From brad-at-greenepa-dot-netThu Nov 21 14:43:24 1996
> Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 16:00:07 -0500
> From: iLLuSioN <brad-at-greenepa-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Primary Ballasts for Pole Pigs
>
> Hello all,
>
>    I have a question that I was wondering if anyone could answer. I am a
> lighting tech at a few theatres, and I came across some older 6.6 KW
> resistance dimmers... Would they be of any use for ballasting the primaries
> of pole pigs? I am planning to eventually build a coil with a 10 KW pole
> transformer... Any comments?
>
> Brad

Brad,

I find that resisitance in the primary circuit of the pole pig is a must
have item.  However, I tend to mix it with a bit of inductance.  This
mixture seems to allow perfect balancing of the system while in
operation.

I would strongly recommend against the use of inductive or resistive
balllasts only!  The resisitve ballast alone will dissapate too much
valuable energy and the inductive ballast will be far too finicky to
adjust to run with great smoothness.

I have found that for my system I require about .3-.5 ohms of resistance
and about 3mh of inducatnce. These should be placed in series with the
low voltage side of the pole pig and the power source.  I can vary both
values to allow for new capaciotr loading in the tank and or replacement
transformers.

Richard Hull, TCBOR