[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Sparks to ground

I can't even make a spark without a billion
safety people present!  Something to do with
airplane wings filled with jp5, and other things!

You on the other hand.....
You are thoughtful though knowing full
well that a considerable expertise is required
for this kind of measurement.  As a first order
you could try an integrator with a homemaid
Rogowski coil hooked up to a HV diode
and polystyrene or teflon capacitor to get
the peaks.  It can be calibrated in situ
with a pulse generator.

Another way is to use your $900 current
probe hooked to the scope through
"N" attenuators.  Take out attenuators
one at a time until a reading is obtained
above the noise floor.  I can understand
your temerity at not wanting to risk your
new probe or scope for that matter!

Then again you could isolate the homemaid
Rogowski probe via back to back LEDs.
A long opaque tube could convey the
light to a solar cell (slow), photodiode,
or phototransistor hooked up to a tube
scope (aka indestructable toaster).
Wrap the scopes' cord around a toroid
to cut the line noise.

By the way I mean't the little coil.  Not the
Maggy!!!!

Barry