[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Simple DC starter stuff

Im really new at this stuff, woefully ignorant of the technical level
that you guys pursue, but very curious......   (like george)

Anyway, I built a coil in highschool that my grandfather helped me
design. The primary parts were as follows;
	6v lantern battery
	Plate glass and Aluminum foil Capacitor
	6v ignition coil (mabye 12)  Auto
	6v buzzer
	simple spark gap

 And the coil wrapped around 2.5 inch pvc,secondary wound of 30 guage
silver plated vinyl insulated wire, with the primary, 12 guage single
strand, wrapped right around the secondary on the same form. (from all
my reading and reasearch lately Ive begun to gather that was not optimal
(overcoupled?))
The buzzer was rigged to provide intermitant contact at the buzzing
frequency, (sort of like a rotary?) but I think that it was before the
ignition coil in the circuit, actually Im sure it was.
This would make more sense anyway.

It was alot of fun, and the spark from the small ball bearing on the
top, approx 3/4 of an inch, was fairly harmless.

All I have left of this is the orriginal coil. I would really like to
re-assemble this design, my grandfather passed away last year, he helped
me build this off the top of his head, and I think I am only now really
starting to appreciate how much he knew.

Any help which you gentlemen could offer would be greatly appreciated.