[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Photos

Tesla List wrote:

> >From chip-at-poodle.pupman-dot-comThu Nov 14 22:37:38 1996
> Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 21:53:30 -0700 (MST)
> From: Chip Atkinson <chip-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> To: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: Photos
>

> Chip,
>
> NICE pictures - looks like Dave's coil was really cookin'! Also, nice
> job on the rotary! Any thoughts about doing any forced air cooling or
> are you using compressed air at all? Also, it looked like you were
> trying out a couple of different motor sizes. Was the larger induction
> motor modified to make it synchronous like Brent's or were you running
> at a high enough break rate so that you didn't get "beating"?
>
> Thanks for sharing these with us! Can I come over and play??
>
> Safe coilin' to ya!!
> <<<<<<
>
> Dave's coil did two things for me: Inspired me to start work on a 6"
> coil, and made me realize that I have a 4" garage.
>
> Thanks for the rotary compliment.  I tried to make it as well as I
> could.  I originally thought that the tiny motor would drive it, but the
> bearings have too much friction to allow that little motor to even think
> of working.  The larger induction motor was salvaged from a furnace.  I
> swapped the pulleys to increase the speed of the disk over the motor.
> The motor is unmodified.  I just finished a pair of motor mounts for
> a Carter motor that I bought recently, and I will hook it up soon.  To
> use a synchronous motor I would have to have a cog belt, or at minimum,
> two pulleys of the same size.  The disk runs at about 3400 RPM, (about
> 680 bps) so I haven't seen any "beating" that I am aware of.  Once I get
> the Carter motor installed, I can vary the speed and experiment with that
> too.
>
> Come on over.  I live in Niwot Colorado, between Boulder and Longmont. :-)
>
> One other thing... I scored a free piece of 9.5" OD PVC pipe.  It has
> heavy walls and a few nicks, but it's free.  While not the ideal form
> material, it should be OK.
>
> Chip
>
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>  Chip Atkinson
>  http://bhs.broo.k12.wv.us/homepage/chip/info.htm
>  --- Everyone is someone else's weirdo. ---
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Chip,
	If you would like to run a synchronous, the rotary I've
just completed is setup as a direct inline. I simply used a peice
of rubber hose and clamps to attach my motor to the disk shaft. The
rubber hose not only supplies a universal joint, but is non conductive.

Note: I've finally got a tripod for my 35mm camera. I'll be doing
      some runs tonight with my 4.5" coil. Hope to post some pictures
      in about a week.

To Richard Hull: This weekend I'll finish up that gold plated water
                 capacitor. But you will have to wait until I order
                 a new LCR meter before I can give you some
                 measurements. Two 8"x8" gold plexi plates seperated
                 by 60 mm. This will be placed in a plastic vanilla
                 file container I bought at Walmart. With distilled
                 water as the dielectric. I don't have a clue as to
                 what voltage rating this thing will be. I'll be
                 trading in my 7200 pole pig for a 14400 10KVA soon,
                 I hope (Wife). When it comes in I'll use my
                 Powerstat/Load setup to find out at what voltage
                 it will blow up at.

D. Gowin