[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Help w/ Chokes

At 10:29 PM 5/28/96 -0600, you wrote:
>From JParisse-at-DDLabs-dot-comTue May 28 21:44:25 1996
>Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 10:42:51 -0700
>From: "Jeff W. Parisse" <JParisse-at-DDLabs-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Help w/ Chokes
>
>I'm in the process of constructing a 3.6kw power supply for low power
>testing and tuning. The step-up transformers are 4500V -at- .4A plate
>transformers from electrostatic copiers and I'm running the secondaries
>in
>
>...Jeff (www.ddlabs-dot-com)

Jeff,
        Please don't be offended if the following discussion greatly
underestimates your expertise.  I am only trying to help.
        I am wondering how you arrived at the current capabilities of your
transformers.  The reason is that electrostatic copiers require high voltage
, but only for the production of corona.  The current requirements are so
low that a more normal rating would be 4 Milliamps.  I have 4 or 5 of these,
and none of them can provide enough current to adequately energize a
discharge tube (used to display the Crookes dark space, rough test for vacuum
, etc.).  These tubes only require about 10 milliamps.  Do you have a spec
plate on the transformer?  Please don't be insulted, I just would hate to
have you waste time building something with inadequate transformers!  It
is entirely possible that your copiers are something industrial that I am not
familiar with, but even the office sized copiers do not have high power
transformers.

Hoping for a legible specifications plate,

Jack