[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Balance resistors

Richard Hull wrote:-

> It is important
>when series capacitors are hooked up to use about 50megs of resistance
>across each cap to help divide the voltage equally.

I had been thinking about this one myself recently. It is almost standard
practice in in H.V. supplys when placing two or more caps in series to
increase the working voltage balancing resistors are placed in parallel
across the caps to enshure an even voltage distribution across them all.
They also act as bleed resistors to prevent the caps holding a high voltage
after the power is removed.

What i was wondering was is it worth applying to my 15 section series cap.
and what would the effect be on the 'Q' of the capacitor?

Would the 50megs still be a correct value on this cap?

Ian Hopley ---->  i_hopley-at-wintermute.co.uk
Aberdeen
Scotland          Callsign  M M 1 A B A