[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

FW: Miniature Coils

Hello Coilers,
Being a neophyte to the Tesla world I greatly appreciate the rhetoric
posed by the very knowledgeable people in this group! Before joining
the group I would have dismissed any claim that streamers could exceed
the secondary length as hype. The first coil I made back in the early
70's was 36" long wound with 40ga. wire (it  had a few splices
were it broke during the winding phase). It never did any more than spark
up and down its length. At the time I had no knowledge of what was going on.
Now Robert has gotme! Malcolm as well, replying with 12-24" streamer lengths.
I wouldn't have expected such large numbers for such as small coil. Let me
say that my miniature coil with its ill suited parts comes nowhere near these
lengths. I would be very impressed with a 5" coil that throw of 12" arcs. :o

Before I do a SWAG on the system Robert built, described and passed on below, I would
like to pose another question. How much effect does atmospheric conditions
play on arc length? I'm looking for generalizations as to humidity, air pressure.
Here in Illinois we see quite a large range of humidity. Would I want a humid
or a dry day to measure my max arc length? If I move my miniature coil to 5000'+
altitude won't I get a long streamer? Some of you guys must have experience operating
coils in different locations.
I hope I never stop learning.
Thanks
dave