[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: .010" Acrylic?

Dennis C. Lee wrote:

> >From atech-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-comMon May 27 09:00:02 1996
> Date: Sun, 26 May 1996 18:54:12 -0700
> From: "Dennis C. Lee" <atech-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: .010" Acrylic?
>
> I recall a message a while back which recommended, I believe, .010"
>acrylic tubing for the secondary winding. The logic involved the fact
>that the dielectric constant increases with a decrease in wall
>thickness. Was this the recommended material? If so, does anyone know of
>a supplier of this type of tubing?
>
> Regards;
> Dennis C. Lee

Hello Dennis:
    I would suggest that you would want to obtain an acrylic tube with a
1/8" wall thickness in order to make winding the secondary a "reasonable"
task.  I recently spent alot of time reading through the catalogs of
three different industrial plastics suppliers and I did not notice any
tube with a .010" thick wall.  Since acrylic is really a fragile material
I wouldn't expect to find anything with a .010" thick wall.  Several
coilers have used forms with 4"-10" diameters with about 1/8" walls I
believe with good results.  If you check your local yellow pages you will
probably find several plastic supply houses.  Midland Plastics in
Milwaukee, WI has a retail desk and takes charge cards too, if you can't
find something closer to you.  Phone is 1-414-783-3460.  Good Luck!

Chuck Curran