[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla and Measurement

Quoting MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz "Malcolm Watts":

> I badly need some information from someone who has access
> to the Colorado Springs Notes. I am hoping to get a copy later
> this year but I need the info now.

>    Questions : (a) Did Tesla measure the Q's of his primary
> coils in isolation (including spark gaps)? (b) If so, what
> technique did he use to measure them (I imagine there weren't
> too many o'scopes around at the time :)  (c) Also if so, what
> results did he get?  (d) Finally, what conclusions did he reach
> about his results?

There should be little doubt that Richard Hull or Mark Barton
would be the resources to directly tap on these questions.

With this out of the way I will stick my neck out, knowing full
well that the above referenced people are likely to cut it off:

Tesla typically measured Q factors by simple measurement of DC
resistance. A woefully inaccurate method, but perhaps better than
no method at all?

Think about it. With his experience winding and firing coils,
plus his extremely gifted intuition, DC resistance of a winding
probably told him a lot: considering he knew the wire type, con-
struction of the form, and the physical winding dimensions.

I find nothing in the notes indicating more than relative
comparisons of the primary system. Certainly there are no num-
bers that could be transcribed directly into modern "Q" data
without going so far as reproducing the actual coils themselves.
There is enough data to achieve a respectable duplication of the
original system.

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12