[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Arnold Toroidal Ferrite?? Cores

Hi all,
       I've been reading the various ideas on the filtering debate
with much interest. More to it than meets the eye?
Ed Harris has got my attention with this...

> There is so much interturn capacitance in a big
> high voltage transformer that I would expect its
> high frequency impedance to be near that of the
> chokes people often use (to apparently good effect).
>
> Malcolm ? Anyone?

so I've got to do something. I am currently making a scope probe
divider to allow me to measure up to (theoretically) 30kV (around
400V max. into the scope. In practice (due to resistor ratings and
type) it should be OK up to 20, but I'll make a point of testing it
into a load up to 30kV. I have included the necessary capacitors in
the divider chain to allow high frequency scoping as well as low-f.
     Point of all that is I'm shortly going to scope primary operation
directly and check a lot of these things. I'm sure it will be most
revealing (as a recent check on operational primary Q turned out to
be).

Malcolm