[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tank Circuit Stray Inductance...

At 08:40 AM 3/11/96 +0700, Jim Fosse wrote:

<snip>

>I would think that this is good from the standpoint of quenching the
>gap, tho bad from a standpoint of voltage drop.
>I'm still learning about plasma's, I've bought a copy of Engel's
>_Ionized Gases_ but haven't read it all yet. Do you have any
>suggestions for references on spark gaps?

Hi Jim,

I have ran across a few references for spark gaps, they are as follows:

(1)  Persephonis, P., et al., "THe inductance of the discharge in a spark
          gap", Journel of Applied Physics, v71 (10), 15 May 1992.

(2)  Frungel, Frank B.A., "High Speed Pulse Technology", Academic Press,
          New York, 1965, volume 1-3.

The above (2) set contains three volumes, although I have found only volumes
1 and 3 of any interest when it comes to spark gaps.  Most of the information
is about or concerning lasers and applications of technology for and towards
lasers, but still applies to TC spark gaps.

In vol. 1 the following spark gap configurations are covered:

(a) Thyratrons
(b) The Ignitron
(c) The Multivibrator
(d) Symmetrical Switch Tubes with Mercury Filling
(e) Fixed Spark Gaps
(f) Moving Spark Gaps
(g) The Lighting Projector
(h) The Actuation of Magnetic Contactors at Predetermined Phase Angles
(i) Quenching Spark Gaps (pretty good)

In vol. 2 the following spark gap configurations are covered:

(a) Controlled Gas Discharge Tube
(b) Controlled Semiconductor Switches
(c) Push-Pull Switching Circuits for Rectangular Pulses
(d) Modern High Power Switching Gaps
(e) Liquid and Soild Gaps
(f) High-Voltage Vacuum Contactors
(g) The Lighting Protectors
(h) Laser-Controlled Spark Gaps
(i) Quenching Spark Gaps
(j) Crowbar Switches
(k) Other Unusual Switching Gaps

All 3 volumes of "High Speed Pulse Technology" contain very useful information
on high voltage pulse discharge caps, as well as other effects/equipment that
is associated with TC's.

I don't know how hard it is to find these books, they are books not journels.
I got mine from my old university (George Mason University), which is about a
medium sized college (atleast library wise), so check at local university or
such...

Tim

| Timothy A. Chandler                ||   M.S.Physics/B.S.Chemistry     |
| NASA-Langley Research Center       ||   George Mason University       |
| Department of Energy               ||   Department of Physics         |
| FRT/Alpha - NASALaRC/DOE JRD/OPM   ||   Department of Chemistry       |
| CHOCT FR Designation #82749156/MG09||   OPC-EFC                       |
|                 Private Email Address:  tchand-at-slip-dot-net               |