[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Neon PFC

> A question directed at Richard Quick. From the tables you
> supplied for power factor correcting neon trannys, I calculate
> a value of 22uF for the 230VAC mains. Is this correct or have I
> blown it?

This sounds very much in the ballpark.

> If this is correct, it seems that these capacitors do not come
> all that cheap here (or small for that matter). Could I use a
> parallel combination of three 8uF capacitors that are sold for
> fluorescent PFC (these are fairly cheap and small)?  Would they
> hold up OK or is there a problem with them?

If they carry an AC rating then go ahead and give them a try.
This is the second question I have had about pfc (power factor
correction) capacitance in as many weeks.

I use surplus oil filled capacitors with an AC rating. I
purchased a wooden soda case full of various caps for about
$25.00 a few years ago. I am all but certain that many (all?) of
these caps contain PCBs. These capacitors are metal can type
topped with spaded terminals on bakelite insulators. I made a
handfull of female jumper wires. When I need power factor
correction, I start adding capacitors in parallel until I get the
lowest possible reading on the ammeter while the transformer is
under load. Frequently the calculated capacitance required
differs from what actually works best, but then I run modified
neons sometimes as well (reduced shunting).

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12