[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Introduction

Re: Reforming electrolytic capacitors
	My experience is that there is no problem, particularly
if you have either a large variable resistor or a suitable variable
power supply.  In your case I would start with a voltage which
gives you of the order of 10 ma with a 10 k series resistance, and
then gradually increase the voltage while keeping the current
within reason to cut down on heating.  As long as the capacitor
stays reasonably cool you should be in good shape.  Work your way
up to the rated voltage and then let things run for a few hours
and your capacitors should be "almost as good as new".  The same
process works for VERY OLD  capacitors.  Last year I resurrected
a 1933 automobile radio with electrolytic capacitors which looked
more like resistors than capacitors.  Drew enough current to overheat
at rated voltage (only about 180 in this case) and didn't even produce
a spark when you shorted them.  After a couple of days of the above
procedure they worked well enough for the radio to play OK, and my
friend for whom I fixed it says it still works OK after a year of
playing.
	Give it a try!  You have nothing to lose.
Ed Phillips