[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tank Circuit Stray Inductance...

At 09:34 AM 3/4/96 +0700, Malcom wrote:

<snip>

>> and was wondering, "Has anyone ever tried to calculate the stray
>> inductance of the discharge in the spark gap?"
>
>No, but it should be quite insignificant considering its length which
>is a fraction of the length of the interconnect wiring which is a
>fraction of the conductor length in the actual coil.

I, myself, am not sure.  I did alittle digging and actually found a reference
for spark gap inductance.

"The Inductance of the Discharge in a Spark Gap"
by P.Persephonis
Journal of Applied Physics
volume 71
number 10 (?)
pages 4755 -4762

Have not really had time to really look it over or run any calculations on it.
But from what I have read so far it says the inductance of the discharge is
can run from 30nH on up...

Do not know how significant that is (as applied to Q factor calculations), but
its certainly worth noting...

Will keep posted,

Tim

| Timothy A. Chandler                ||   M.S.Physics/B.S.Chemistry     |
| NASA-Langley Research Center       ||   George Mason University       |
| Department of Energy               ||   Department of Physics         |
| FRT/Alpha - NASALaRC/DOE JRD/OPM   ||   Department of Chemistry       |
| CHOCT FR Designation #82749156/MG09||   OPC-EFC                       |
|                 Private Email Address:  tchand-at-slip-dot-net               |