[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: High frequency impedance of a neon sign transformer

Richard Hull comments:
Ed,

The impedance of the secondary of a neon sign transformer is tremendous at
any frequency!   Even if we took the laminations out the secondary, the air
core inductance of several thousand turns of 38 gauge wire in a fist sized
ball would be the best portion of a henry or two and at 500khz,  that is
still about 3 megohms.  Neon transformers are doomed in Tesla service!  Long

Hi Richard, nice to see you here!

When I measure the impedance looking into the neon secondary at 300kHz,
I get about 1800ohms. Much less than 3Mohm. I have offered some
explainations which I guess you don't buy. Or, if it is the measurement
itself which you don't agree with-- please, everyone, try it yourselves.

I won't be able to respond until after thursday.

 -Ed Harris