[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: contrarotating gap

Hi Loren,

> I had an idea the other day about how one could get a very high
> breaks-per-second from a rotary gap without high RPM.  It looks like
> this from the side...
>
> The principle is simple.  The 2 disks rotate in opposite
> directions (though one could be stationary for 1/2 the BPS).
> The number of electrodes (e.g. tungsten pins) is *different*
> for each disk..........
>
> Anyone seen one of these?  Somebody probably patented it in 1903. :-/

Althought I have never seen one, I know that Nikola Telsa thought of
these a long time ago.    Before 1903 actually.If I recall, he mentions
them in the CSN.  Was he the first?  I don't know.  I'm sure Richard
Hull does though.

Reminds me of when I thought I invented vacuum gaps.  Then I found out
that they had been in use for some time.  Oh well.

Scott Myers