[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rotary Spark gap and Tesla Magnifier System

Malcolm,

Our series rotary gap can quench in the 50us range.  You mentioned your need
for a 25us quench time for a K=.12 coupling.  Wow!  We used a 100us quench
time on the old Nemesis two coil system at 13KW and coil coupling of k=.20.
 Needless to say it worked great.  I believe your requirements are caculated
and not operationally determined,  The calculation comes from the old radio
days of needing to not split the frequencies about resonance.  If you are
trying to transmit power or intelligence, this is good, but a TC is not used
for these purposes and need not answer quite so rigid a criterion.  It is
fine to splatter energy over a small range about resonance.  The Q's of most
operational resonators under sparking conditions is pretty abyssmal anyway.

Our series rotary uses 8 staionaryelectrodes mounted around the rotor and 8
rotary electrodes on the disk.  The disk electrodes are connected in pairs
to each other.  Thus, four pairs are created.  The outer stationary
electrodes are connected so that the two outer side electrodes are the in
and out points.  The other 6 electrodes are hooked to gether as pairs in
three vertical rows.  This results in a net recession rate for any electrode
presentation of 8 times that of a common rotary gap!  regardless of speed.
 We have this gap design shown and completely disucssed on our tape report
#19.  Tape #21 shows the gap in current use being assembled and is further
discussed.

     Richard Hull,TCBOR
From: tesla
To: 73041.2215; 73663.1536; BrittB7556; JHERRON; JOHNBATES3; abourass;
atech; davide; funkadelic; jbiehler; jfalcon; jmonty; kg7bz; logue; mackte;
osburnw; pinsky; richardh; rmessick; rnicker; rwstephens; shu95mmc; stevej;
twill19; yiorgos
Subject: Re: Rotary Spark gap and Tesla Magnifier System
Date: Monday, March 25, 1996 2:34PM