[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Overdriving potential transformers

How much current can I get from my 1.5kVA, 14400 potential transformer
before some kind of catastrophic failure occurs - 2kVA? 3KVA? more?  I
have assumed that as long as I don't exceed the rated voltage, a PT would
be almost as bullet-proof as a pole transformer and would be pretty much
limited by the temperature rise (i.e. - turn it off when it starts
getting warm).  Is this a reasonable assumption or am I going to quickly
end up with a dead PT by running it at a higher current than what it's
rated for?

Steven Roys