[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Bumping above 40%

tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com On Wed, 20 Mar 1996 20:01:03 +0700, you
wrote:

Richard,
	Welcome aboard! We have heard a lot of good things about you!

>The bumping is usually completely elimenated with the addition of a very low
>value resistor bank of a capacity twice that of the system power usage.  I
>use about .7 - 1.2 ohms from about 8 - 4 KW in series with my inductor.  It
>is a delicate adjustment, so I have both a variable inductor and a stepped,
>tapped resistor bank of about 10,000 watt capability of up to 3 ohms.  So
>you lose some juice in waste heat.  The universe is doomed to a heat death
>anyway.  Do your bit for increased entropy!  Besides contributing to the
>inevitable, all your running coil's surges and bumps disappear with out too
>much heartburn.
>
>     Richard Hull, TCBOR

The fact that a series resistance removes the bumping would lead me to
believe that it is in fact a resonance condition. The resistance is
critically damping the circuit. Now the only question is: what is
resonating at such a low frequency? The supply line circuit? The HV
transformer and main cap? Or some other combination?

	jim