[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Blown Rolled "Hull" Capacitor Discussion

>>From chip Fri Mar  1 17:03 MST 1996
>Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 17:03:28 +0700
>From: chip (Chip Atkinson)
>To: tesla
>Subject: Re: Blown Rolled "Hull" Capacitor Discussion
>

>One of the problems that you can run into with PVC pipe and PVC end caps is
>that if you try to use a good vacuum pump, you can suck air THROUGH the PVC
>end caps!
><<<
>I believe that what is really happening is that the air pressure put cracks
>in the end cap.  This crack would seal closed when there is no air pressure
>on it, but spring open when pulling the vacuum.
>
>I have a small leak somewhere in my end cap and it made an oily mess
>on my floor until I put the darn thing in a bucket.  When I make them
>in the future, I'll use about 3/4" of epoxy in the bottom to seal the thing
>(I'll actually use the Build50, since I have a quart of it)
>
>By the way, I pulled a vacuum on my cap, and despite the air leaking in,
>I have never had a failure, despite the fact that I run at 15kV.  I used
>oil that the salesman said was transformer oil (it was labeled Mobiltherm
>503(?) Heat transfer oil)
>
>Chip

     The vacuum isn't going to hurt Mr. PVC, but at close to 29 in. of mercury
it will suck through spots you couldn't find with 20X mag.  In fact, put a
glass of water under this kind of vacuum and watch it boil bubbles until the
water is gone.  Lot of air in water.  Don't believe - try it!

         Dan M. Lawson    - Manufacturing Jeweler
         laws-at-calweb-dot-com  - Weight Lifter - Bodybuilder