[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Filter Choke Design

Hi Malcom,

> Problem is, a saturated core has an induction factor approaching that
> of air, and I think it's agreed that air-core chokes are no good. I
> honestly think that neon trannys don't need chokes, because if you
> look at an equivalent circuit, you see some massive inductance (the
> neon secondary measuring hundreds of Henries) in series with a few
> mH. Additionally, I would think that 5K or so of winding resistance
> would swamp the esr of a small lossy choke.

Interesting point.  I'm intrigued.  But what about the first few hundred
turns or so on the neon transformer.  Do you think that they will see a
good deal of RF?  I'd like to hear more of this idea.  I've never tried to
run a neon without a choke.  Perhaps others hear have run neons extensively
without chokes and could give some input.

Scott Myers