[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Neon Rewind

jim <jim.fosse-at-BDT.COM> On Sun, 3 Mar 1996 21:51:06 GMT, I wrote:

>>Hi,
>>        I just smoked my first neon:( It was my jefferson electric co
>>15Kv 60ma 'bad' transformer that I got for free.
>>

>> Now for the interesting part, I started getting no spark, I check the
>>transformer and the side I was using still had continuity, the side I
>>was not using went open. The primary showed continuity.
>>
>>Last night I cut the case off and got most of the tar off. I put it in
>>the freezer and will presently remove the rest of the tar. More as I
>>find out.
>>
>>                jim
>>
>I got the core and windings clean now. The primary is ok, one
>secondary is ok. The other secondary has a 1/4" hole into the side of
>it  and no continuity.
>
>I did notice that this primary has a power factor cap connected to it,
>but not across the AC mains connection. The AC connects to the outer
>half of the primary winding with the cap accross the whole winding. It
>looks very much like a resonant system?
>
>Given a bad secondary winding, and no duplicate transformer to get one
>from, I was thinking about removing both secondaries and winding a low
>voltage high current secondary for spot welding, light arc welding.
>Has any one tried this?
>
>                jim

Tonight I drilled out the rivets and pulled off the secondaries,
relaminated the core and wound 10 turns of #24 A.W.G hookup wire in
one of the secondary positions.

	With 115 Vac 60Hz in:
	10 turns = 5.6 volts without the PFC cap.
	                = 5.8 volts with       the PFC cap.
				0.58 Volts per turn.

	PFC winding, 780 Vac without cap.
		        820 Vac with       cap.

	Primary Current, 1.3A without cap.	Secondary lightly
loaded
		              3.6A with       cap.

		             2.3A without cap.	Secondary shorted.
		             3.5A with       cap.

	Secondary Current shorted:  22A.

Tomorrow I'll try some heavier wire for the secondary. Even a 6V 22A
I'm not loading this 900VA core very much.

	jim