[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

HV PFC CAPACITANCE

 > Does anyone know what range of capacitance power factor correction
 > capacitors are as used on HV lines ?  If in the correct capacitance
 > range, would these be useful as TC caps ?

 Te> I just bought some surplus PFC caps at a utility auction, and they are
 Te> rated at 2400V, 25uF (V too low, C too high for Tesla coils, just fine
 Te> for exploding wires).  I know they make and use higher voltage caps,
 Te> but I  imagine that the capacitance would be too high to be of
 Te> practical use.   But if you see something that would have an
 Te> appropriate capacitance and  voltage rating (2 or 3 x your input
 Te> voltage?), go for it.  If I can get a  few more of 2400V units, I have
 Te> entertained the idea of sawing the top off  one (no PCB's) and seeing
 Te> if I can reassemble the pieces into a higher  voltage, lower
 Te> capacitance unit (anyone have any experience with this?).
 Te> Good luck.

 Te> Steven Roys
I was thinking of some PFC caps for 14,400v, maybe if I can get some around
.1uF I can series a couple and use for tank caps. I can also use some caps
of about 25uF+ for a 3 phase rotary converter (in process of building)
power factor correction, at 2500V I'd have a harder time blowing it out!
Like to get my machine shop completely outfitted by spring so I can start
some serious coiling! I usually have no difficulty exploding wires, even
without 2500V caps :) ! What is usually used in the non-PCB PFC caps for
dielectric, are they usually plastic film? I like your idea of sawing them
apart for components. I occasionally worked at a scrapyard when in high
school disassembling pole pigs. Used to hack the horns off with an axe,
reach into the oil (Pyrinol PCB) and pull the core out, then proceed to
hack the windings off with the axe. Then went over to a barrel of Carbon
Tet. to rinse off the oil before eating lunch! No ill effects yet (except
the kids say that all their friends wonder why I have 3 eyes), but I
don't want to push my luck any more!  If it's got PCB, I'll leave it intact!
Brad Alheim

... Two most common elements in the universe: Hydrogen & Stupidity.
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12