[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tank Circuit Stray Inductance...

It appears from your statement that you see five or six current bursts per half
cycle that your gaps are chopping.  This means that they are not fully entering
the arc mode.  This is not necessarily a bad thing because this chopping
probably pumps your primary circuit up to a higher peak voltage, but it does
mean that the effective arc resistance is higher than it would be if the gaps
fully commutated.

I found with my own Tesla coil that air gaps and smaller hermetically sealed
gaps got hot fast.  I had a ceramic-metal gap with two inch diameter Molybdenum
electrodes backfilled with Hydrogen to a static breakdown voltage of ten kv dc.
This gap will drive the coil continuously without getting too hot.

I like Hydrogen because it transfers heat very well, and has a shorter
deionization time than many other gases.