[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Neon XFRMR Protection

>David,
>
>Can you describe your primary and secondary?
>
>Ed Sonderman

Ed,

Currently the primary of my resonator is non-existant, as the last time I
fired it up with my newly made Cap and just a few of the gaps there was some
significant arcing from the top of the primary to the top of the secondary.
That was with 9 turns of 3/8" heavy copper shielded coax with a total of 270
mill LDPE wraped around the secondary to allow close coupling. When I get
back home in about 4-5 weeks I'll start all over with the primary, I'm
looking for about 30-40uH with a coupling coeficient of .5 or greater. My
secondary is 166 turns of #18 rubber insulated and close wound for a length
of 17.5" on a 6 5/8" PVC form. This I am using to drive my 'extra' coil, this
is 758 turns of #22 magnet wire close wound on a 4 5/8" PVC form for a length
of 20.5". I am shooting for resonant tank frequency of about 220-250KHz.
 Well thats the rundown. I'm going to see how far I can go with those coils
and hope my Cap will last for a while and I don't burn to many more neons
out.
 Also, I just want to thank Scott Myers for his very prompt and informative
reply to my post. Let me know how the magnet wire works out.

David Trimmell