[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Filter Torroids Question

On Thu, 29 Feb 1996 tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com wrote:

> >> Without a lot of thought, I fit 20 turns of 12ga solid
> >> THHN house wire on one of them before realizing that the
> >> wire is only rated at 600v.
>
> >I don't see how this would be a problem.  There shouldn't be a large
> >voltage drop across the inductors (my brain isn't in gear so I don't
> >remember the formula for the impedence of an inductor, but you can
> >figure it out from V=IX, where X is the impedence of your inductor).

I was actually thinking about things from the 60Hz side of things, where
there would be a minimal voltage drop across the inductors.  But from the
HF, HV noise side of things, you have two layers of insulation between
each turn, so the inter-turn breakdown voltage would be closer to 1200V.
This would mean that your twenty turns could nominally hold off 24000 V, as
long as the turns aren't wound on top of each other.  Also, I would
think that there should not be much current trying to get back through
the chokes - most of it should be going through your relatively low
impedence spark gap with a lot of the rest going through your filter caps
to ground (please correct me if I'm wrong - my EE skills are a little rusty).

Steven Roys