[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Filter Torroids Question

Quoting gcerny-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com (Glenn Cerny):

> The torroids from Hosfelt arrived today (item T-250-B).
> My question is, has there been a discussion or consensus
> over what type of wire to wind these with?
> Without a lot of thought, I fit 20 turns of 12ga solid
> THHN house wire on one of them before realizing that the
> wire is only rated at 600v.  If anyone wants to know,
> this measured out at exactly 80uh with the LCR meter.

The 12ga wire is really too heavy. You can use something closer
to 18-20 AWG and still be way over the rated current handling
abilites of the wire.

As far as voltage rating is concerned, I use the standard 600
volt rated soft PVC jacketed wire. I generally wrap the core with
about three layers of black plastic friction tape to beef up the
insulation around the core, and wrap away.

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12