[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Safety gaps

Hello to all,

I have a fairly simple question concerning my RF safety gap: When running
at 15 KV (7.5 KV/legg) what is the optimum gap distance to ensure proper
protection of a Neon Transformer?
 My RF filter is setup in the following maner: (Per legg) off of the HV
leed is connected 1.5 nanoFarad doornobs to RF ground, then the safety
gap, next a 1.5 Kohm 50 Watt resitor, and finnaly two chokes for a total
of ~3.5 mH (calculated).
 The problem I seem to be having is that while running my resonator tuned
out to ~.038mH (max) in my primary with a .007 uFD Tank Cap ( just
ordered a CP's cap) my safety gap will fire even when opened up to 3/4 of
an inch.
This firing of the safety gap greatly concerns me. My curent system is
stuck with the low tank capacitance untill my comercial cap arives, so I
have been doing a lot of tuning with my terminal capacitance, perhaps to
much terminal cap ~22 picoFarad (where I get my longest discharge, only
about 36") is undully stressing my system. I dont know, but if anyone can
let me know what the safe distance for a RF safety gap with a 15 KV 120
mA Neon is I would be greatfull.
 Thanks.

David Trimmell <dwt-at-efn-dot-org>