[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Flyback Transformers

You wrote:

snip

>BTW what is it with streamers, anyway?  My other coil produces 22"
>streamers to a grounded target.  But, while making this measurement, I
>watch as other, longer streamers zip (zap?) right past said target.
>Why is the grounded target a less attractive destination for TC
discharges?

>No longer lurking,
>Jeffrey Wiggins

Two more related questions.

1.  When I fire my coil with just the 1/4 inch bolt electrode on top,
almost 100% of the streamers are directed up above the horizontal plane
of the upper coil.  With the toroid, still the majority of the
streamers are directed above the horizontal plane.  If the earth is one
plate of this capacitor and the upper terminal is the other plate, why
aren't the discharge sparks attracted between the two plates and the
streamers directed downward?

2.  When I decreased my primary voltage to about 40 v, my secondary
sparks were about 3 - 4 inches.  I intently observed the sparks from a
couple of feet away.  In addition to the regular streamers, I could
observe small bright flashes above the corona.  These same flashes can
be observed in Richard Quick's video and in TCBOR videos (see the still
frame shots).  Electric Spacecraft Journal had an article a few
editions back and the author felt they might be tiny ball lightning.
What are these flashes?

Thanks,

RWW