[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Flyback Transformers

Hi, all!
I agree with Dave Huffman - a small TC is always more impressive than the
flyback/oscillator.  (flybacks are especially boring when hooked up on a TV
chassis
and said TV is turned on!)
I built a miniature coil recently using a corona transformer from a photocopier
-
4.8kV -at- 7.8mA  for a whopping 37Watts!  It produces an energetic display of 2"
streamers all round the toroid - 0.75" x 4" - at 580kHz (bye-bye broadcast
radio).
Why bother, you ask?  I hate to see an HV transformer that's not in use!!
BTW what is it with streamers, anyway?  My other coil produces 22" streamers
to a grounded target.  But, while making this measurement, I watch as
other, longer streamers zip (zap?) right past said target.  Why is the grounded
target
a less attractive destination for TC discharges?

No longer lurking,
Jeffrey Wiggins