[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rotatry Gaps motors

>Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 08:35:13 +1000 (EST)
>From: Rodney Davies <rodney-at-johnxt7.anu.edu.au>

>If the motor is running under synchronous, the coil should
>experience "spluttering output".

>Has anyone else experienced problems like this?
>
>My motor at the moment is a 1/4 horsepower 1440 rpm asynchronous motor,
>it has not yet been adjusted, as with very low input power, I have experienced the
>"spluttering effect".

Rodney,
	Yes, I've experienced the spluttering effect. Last month I
used a 1HP "1750" RPM (60Hz) induction motor that I had collecting
dust. Bad rotary driver, but watching the spark gap was the finest
example of slippage in an induction motor that I've seen. You could
watch it precess from just before the points align to just after.
There was about a 1 second commutation period with a 2 or 3 second off
period.

Since then I been using a 30VDC "tape drive" spindle motor. It will
run over 7000 rpm (around 1800 breaks per second, potentially, I've
not scope it yet to see what the real numbers are). It gives a much
smoother output. I've also purchased a 1/15 HP 1800 RPM synchronous
motor, but because of it's small shaft, I've not tried it yet.

	cheers,

	jim

over here, the FCC is sometimes called the Federal Candy Company. What
do you call it down under?

	G'day mate.