[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

safety gaps

> Also, he explained why the "recommended" circuit doesn't need additional
> "safety gaps" (or capacitors from neon transformer to ground), and described
> suitable torroid and air-core chokes for the "recommended" circuit.
>
> MY QUESTIONS:
>
> 1.  Do you agree that the "recommended" circuit (fig. D) is better than the
> "conventional" circuit (fig. A)?

> 3.  Do you agree that additional "safety gaps" (and "capacitors to
> ground") are not needed in the "recommended" circuit?

<Now to your Questions, in order.

<1.  In general, yes I believe shunting gaps are better but not the
<panacea Mr. Cox believes them to be.  When the gaps stop firing, there is
<still a load of expanded magnetic energy in the primary tank this will
<kick back into the transformer.

<3.  I have long ago cast the safety gaps aside.  They often do as much
<harm as good and besides, in the shunted gap mode, the main gap is also
<the safety gaps.  I still shunt each xfrmer lead to ground with 500pf!

<Richard Hull, TCBOR

Richard

Could you go into a little more detail why you no longer use safety gaps-
how do they do as much harm as good?

Is it because you use more rugged potential and pole types or do you
disregard the safeties with neons too?

I understand the use of 500pf caps to ground, do you rely on these to
shunt nasties away from the transformer?

Thanks

Tom