[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Mini Magnifier

Tesla List wrote:

> >From paynet-at-interaccess-dot-comSun Jun 23 22:44:57 1996
> Date: Sun, 23 Jun 1996 18:40:03 -0500
> From: Tedd Payne <paynet-at-interaccess-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Mini Magnifier
>
> I don't recall ever seeing or hearing anything about a small/low power
> "magnifier" system.  Is there a technical or practical limit which prevents
> building a magnifier based on, for example, a 12KV/30mA neon transformer?
>
> I'd like to exclude from my question "solid state" magnifiers such as the
> Bylund circuit.
>
> Tedd

Tedd,

I have built a couple of small or mini disruptive magnifiers, but they
still require something other than a neon sign transformer. (for long
life)  The key is in coupling the primary/secondary tightly.  It is tough
to do in a smaller system, and due to the naturally higher frequency of
operation, arc quenching goes beyond most folks ability to achieve.  Most
of my systems have been relatively lightly coupled.  This limits the
performance to near "two coil" operation, but still retains the super
advantage of a remote resonator free of all the tank circuitry.

Richard Hull, TCBOR