[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Flyback Transformers

>Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 22:25:05 -0600
>From: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
>To: Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Flyback Transformers

>>From dwt-at-efn-dot-orgSun Jun  9 22:22:10 1996
>>Date: Sat, 08 Jun 1996 23:07:31 -0500
>>From: David Trimmell <dwt-at-efn-dot-org>
>>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>>Subject: Re: Flyback Transformers
>>
>>"My other coil produces 22" streamers
>>to a grounded target.  But, while making this measurement, I watch as
>>other, longer streamers zip (zap?) right past said target.  Why is the
>>grounded target a less attractive destination for TC discharges?"
>>

>Well, I am going to stick my neck out much further than I should. The
>potential difference of a TC without any terminal capacitance should be
>greatest towards the common earth ground, but now when one adds an
>increasing terminal capacitance (a torus) the potential difference
>becomes more influenced by the surounding space and not the common
>ground. This is why, I asume, is the partial reason we acheve greater
>free air discharge length with large torus. I have had my magnifier
>running with a 4.5"x16" torus with a small wire taped to the bottom
>pointed down shooting sparks down to the wooden table (24") only 5" from
>the bottom of my tirtary with only occasional hits to the bottom of the
>coil.
> Now I am probibly way off, but hey thats sticking my neck out

   Sounds to me like the new long streamers just don't see the
   grounded target as a good ground!   Does the new TC operate at the
   same frequency as the old one?  If not, then I would immediately
   investigate the impedance to real earth ground of that grounded
   target *at the new frequency*.  Perhaps at the frequency of the new
   TC you have a high impedance in the ground connection: the series
   inductange of the grounding wire partially parallel-resonating with
   capacitance to ground of the target?

>David Trimmell <dwt-at-efn-dot-org>
>
>PS: Anyone who has not read Richard Hull's Guide to the CS Notes is
>really missing out. Richard- it is refreshing to get just the facts and
>not the fiction. A very good work.

  Sorry, how do I get that guide?  Thanks.

  Cheers,

 Fred W. Bach ,    Operations Group        | Internet: music-at-triumf.ca
 TRIUMF (TRI-University Meson Facility)    | Voice:  604-222-1047 loc 6327/7333
 4004 WESBROOK MALL, UBC CAMPUS            | FAX:    604-222-1074
 University of British Columbia, Vancouver, B.C., CANADA   V6T 2A3
 "Accuracy is important. Details can mean the difference between life & death."
 These are my opinions, which should ONLY make you read, think, and question.
 They do NOT necessarily reflect the views of my employer or fellow workers.