[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Addendum-DC Tesla

Since I hit the send button on the posting regarding DC electrostatics, I
have though of a few more tid-bits.

Many of my fellow engineers and even the more informed neophytes, just
have to feel that some sort of rectificaion is taking place in the Tesla
coil scenario I played out in the earlier posting.  Why guys!  Lets think
a moment.  I wonder if we were to account for all the losses and outputs
from a Tesla coil in "HOT SPARK MODE" if we wouldn't find the DC output
would swamp the AC output in relative power?  If this were the case, the
DC would be the "normal mode of operation for the sparking system"!!

 How much of the ultra hot, slow discharges from a giant Tesla coil
toroid is DC electrostatic discharge energy?  There are, hopefully,
always more new questions than answers to old ones.  The RF and magnetic
energy in a disruptive coil is delivered in very potent and intense
bursts very far apart, spread out over a long time frame and the RMS
value of same is rather whimpy even in large systems.  What makes the
large arcs so white hot when the RMS energy per pulse is so feeble?  Will
we discover that the discharging, ultra large terminaled Tesla coil is a
DC device producing DC arcs with AC RF voltages and energies along for
the ride?

Another observation.  A discharging tube coil or solid state coil (more
or less CW) will not produce the DC effect to any noticable degree!  It
appears, in fact, that it is down by a factor of 2-4 orders of magnitude
per unit RMS power input!  I have always spoken out for the disruptive
coil producing less RF and more DC goings on than the tube based system.

I feel that this is due to the rather large instantaneous power per pulse
found in disruptive systems (often megawatts) as opposed to the tube
based systems ( rarely hundreds of watts).

If it lights a luminous tube at range and has a bushy, quiet pale blue
spark with lots of corona, it is primarily tranmitting RF energy.  If it
is noisey and the arcs are white hot and infrequent, it is primarily a DC
producing system.

I hope to devise a quantitative method to check out some of these
concepts in future.  For those who wish to really understand the inner
workings of these systems in the future, I woud recommend a wake-up call
and study on the long languishing science of electrostatics!  I'm burnin'
th' midnight oil on this subject just now!

Still tryin' to figger it all out....

Richard Hull, TCBOR