[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Software

Hi, Malcolm

>            For a rolled cap, try this: The cap I designed for the
>article is effectively two plates, 6m length, overlapping width 225mm
>with 0.5mm of polyethylene between them, rolled up gives 100nF with
>good repeatability.

Thanks Malcolm, although I am having some trouble with these figures. I do
not doubt the value of 100nF but have trouble replicating it. Using the
traditional formula of C= KA/d   K = Dielectric Const (2.28 for LDPE)
                     A = overlap area in inches
                     d = dielectric thikness in inches
(answer in pF)

gives a value of 238nF for a flat cap and roughly double that for a rolled
cap. I have been rather short of sleep lately and may be staring the obvious
in the face. Please show me what it is.

Graham