[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: FAQ questions...

>Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 22:25:37 -0600
>To: Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: FAQ questions...
>FAQ questions...
>
>From huffman-at-d0tokensun.fnal.govTue Jul  9 22:21:23 1996
>Date: Tue, 9 Jul 96 09:56:24 CDT
>From: Dave Huffman <huffman-at-d0tokensun.fnal.gov>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: FAQ questions...

  [snip]

>I would say safety is going to be a very hard thing to
>describe. Tesla himself passed very large currents through
>his body without damage. I have personally lit a 60watt
>incandecent bulb, screw base in hand and center contacting
>a 30MHz source, with only heat ending the experiment. Let's
>see, I held the bulb for 15 seconds, that's 60W*15s=900joules.
>I've heard it said that a very small current (100uA) passing
>through the heart can be fatal. Remember DC likes to take the
>shortest path. From arm to capacitor terminal to arm to capacitor
>terminal is probably the most dangerous situation in a TC system.

   The RF travels just under the skin and does not penetrate the
   deeper tissue very much.  Also, our nervous systems are not very
   sensitive to this frequency so we don't feel the pain or have the
   muscles contract from RF.  This lack of body penetration is indeed
   known as the "skin" effect and it is why RF inductors can be hollow
   (the RF doesn't travel in the deep inside of the conductors) and
   should be pure-silver-plated for best Q.

>AC is less dangerous than DC.

   You ought to know better than make a blanket statement like that.
   60 Hz is far more dangerous to the heart than DC !

  [snip]

   Cheers,

 Fred W. Bach ,    Operations Group        | Internet: music-at-triumf.ca
 TRIUMF (TRI-University Meson Facility)    | Voice:  604-222-1047 loc 6327/7333
 4004 WESBROOK MALL, UBC CAMPUS            | FAX:    604-222-1074
 University of British Columbia, Vancouver, B.C., CANADA   V6T 2A3
 "Accuracy is important. Details can mean the difference between life & death."
 These are my opinions, which should ONLY make you read, think, and question.
 They do NOT necessarily reflect the views of my employer or fellow workers.