[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Thanks, Everyone !

         Hi, Fellow Coilers.......

         I have just fired up my second coil. My first coil was built
         from an old set of B&L Scientific plans (total junk). Anyway,
         I want to thank Richard Quick for getting me started, and giving
         me confidence. I also want to thank Jim Fosse for his time
         by coming by, and showing me how my first coil was operating.
         I also want to thank all of you in the group for all the
         postings. I printed out all the postings that had to do with
         general Tesla Coil theory, and construction hints. I then put
         them into manilla folders for each category (primaies,chokes,
         secondaries,etc.) Here is the result of your experience,and
         again......THANK YOU ALL!........

         Input: (2) 60mamp, 15k neons in parralell
         Primary: 30 deg. spiral/ 3/8 cu tubing/3/8 space/tap #11
         Secondary: 6"dia.acrylic/28" tall/22ga.magnet wire,close
                    wound/950 turns/Behr "Build 50" epoxy/2 coats.
         Cap: Condenser Prod., 20kv -at- .025 mfd...(WOW!)
         Spark Gap: Airblast -at- 30 psi.,gapped at .375 / 30 psi
         Chokes: Each Leg: (1) stripped down 3.5 in. round steel
                 strap xfmr core, wound w/ 30 turns,18 ga. PVC
                 coated solid wire.
                 (1) 1.5 in. acrylic tubing, wound w/ 40 turns of
                 18 ga. PVC coated solid wire.
         Discharge Term: 24" dia. x 5in Torroid

         FIRST SPARK: (out of the box,no adjustments yet to the
         primary tap, or the spark gap)........................
         50" FAT white bolt to some hand tools sitting on a cardboard
         box (go figure?) Also, one of the bolts went AROUND the strike
         rail, and hit the 50in. sq ground plane. Why did this happen?
         Also, can someone tell me why a bolt went 1" over the strike
         rail and then go another foot to the output of the neon? Our
         electronic engineers at work say it is totally impossible. I
         would love to know what is going on!!!

         Anyway, again, thank you all for making my dream come true.
         This is a great group, and maybe now, I can be one of the
         "advisers" (beginning, that is). I might need some help to
         DE-tune this thing...It's scares me a little!!!!!!

             Thanks Guys... Tom Renko...(The Amp Man)