[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Skin Effect & Primary Current?

Hi Jim, all,
              The gap I mentioned is a static gap. My rotary which I
have not yet run at real power has stainless nuts. I may well change
the stationary electrodes to tungsten carbide if arcing occurs.

 > >>     At this current density your gaps are in the glow-discharge
> >> region (don't believe me? look at the light emitted. Is it blue:
> >> indicating a Nitrogen glow discharge? or Green: copper? ?/iron. =>
> >> arc)
> >
> >Bright blue.
> Glow discharge regime, not arc! On my rotary, with iron/steel bolts,
> I'm eroding to gap => arc; maybe this is why I'm having so much
> problem with "power arcs"?

That could be true, but I guess a more experienced operator would
know. As far as I know, tungsten carbide is one of the best.

> >> WHAT? Mercury at 10nS. !!!! ?????  Why are Mercury Thyratrons So Slow?
> >> If low pressure mercury arcs quench in 10nS. why use blown Cu/N2
> >> gaps;) I think von Engel is off here (pun intended)
> >
> >I have it on good authority that specially built thyratrons can indeed
> >operate at moderately high break rates and but require special
> >internal construction in the form of baffles and the anode must be
> >made of a particular type of material. I'm sorry, I don't have the
> >particulars handy.
> >
> A Hydrogen thyratron?

Mercury believe it or not. I'll have to dig that info out. Thanks for
the rest of this interesting post. I can see I have some reading to
do.

Malcolm
<snip>