[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: car computers & TCs

Tesla List wrote:

> > Subject: car computers & TCs
>
> >From hullr-at-whitlock-dot-comFri Jul 19 22:42:27 1996
> Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 10:05:52 -0700
> From: Richard Hull <hullr-at-whitlock-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: car computers & TCs
>
> Tesla List wrote:
> >
> > >From davide-at-mailhost.accesscom-dot-netThu Jul 18 22:33:39 1996
> > Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 22:36:02 +0000
> > From: David Euans <davide-at-mailhost.accesscom-dot-net>
> > To: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> > Subject: car computers & TCs
> >
> > Has anyone had the misfortune or heard of anyone who fried a car's
> > computer with a TC?  I would guess that they are fairly well shielded,
> > but thought I'd ask before firing a coil outdoors within 50-100 feet
> > of neighbors' and my cars.
> >
> > Dave Euans
>
> Dave,
>
> I doubt it very, very seriously with natures lightning strikes, a car
> would be the ultimate shield.
>
> Richard Hull, TCBOR

Chrysler had a problem with their early automotive computers wherein a
police car traveling next to a Chrysler and keying the police radio
transmitter would actually screw up the computer. That problem was
repaired by placing a whole bunch of disk ceramics around the computer
but I think I would be somewhat concerned. I blew up a scope which was
sitting about 10' from a coil operating at about 1 kw. An LC filter in
the sweep circuit of the scope happened to resonsate at the same
frequency that the coil was on and literally burned up the inductor and
the capacitor. The scope was not plugged in nor was it connected to a
ground. It also took out a couple of chips.

BEWARE

Skip