[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Amateur Night

7/11/96

You wrote:

snip

>It doesn't seem right to me, but after a little fiddlin' around with
>the tune, it seems to put out longer sparks at around 85-90 volts? Go
>figger :)  Anyway from what i've read here, neons don't like
>"overvoltage", so I didn't bother to try 140v on them.

snip

I've had similar experience.  I've found it to be a function of the
spark gap firing a little soon or not quenching well enough.  I opened
the gap a little bit and had significant improvement.  Applying air
suction to the gap for quenching really improved it.  How do you quench
your gap?  Also, I've driven my 12/60 neons at 140 v without ill
effects.  Yet.

Suggestions from others?

RWW