[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Fair caps test

Tesla List wrote:

> >From ed-at-alumni.caltech.eduSat Jul 13 21:48:11 1996
> Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 10:35:30 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "Edward V. Phillips" <ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Fair caps test
>
> "Yow...I'm going to have to get to some hamfests!  I'm not a radio guy, and none
> of my friends are into electronics at all, so before I found these Tesla groups
> I had never even _heard_ of a hamfest.  Perhaps a whole new era of electronic
> junk aquisition is opening up for me..."
>         BE VERY CAREFUL!!!! You are in danger of turning into a
> SWAP MEET JUNKIE!!!!  Bringing home all kinds of stuff that was
> too cheap to pass by but of no use.  Eventually you will haul
> it back to another swap meet and try to get rid of it to someone
> else who just couldn't pass by all those golden treasures!
> One who has been there.

Ed, Charles, All

Ed is correct, alas, for I to have a load of stuff which I will never use
but it was too neat to pass up.  Yes I have hauled some back years later
to resell, but oddly enough, it made me a profit because the older the
stuff is, in some cases, now either antique or has faded from the hamfest
scene.  This is not the case with computers!!  Try and sell an Apple II
or a PC XT now!

I haven't seen the number of doorknob caps that I used to see due to
their being old technology and the surplus came and went.  Thus, now they
fetch a small fortune over the old 50 cents I used to pay! (now $5.00)
Ouch.  It was only two weeks ago at a fest, I stumbled onto a guy with a
box full of doorknobs which he bought 12 years ago at a fest and he was
selling the box for $2.00!!  I snapped it up.  Thank goodness for the
slow recycle of older hamfest buys.

Richard Hull, TCBOR