[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Condenser Products

 * Original msg to: Mattz-at-pond-dot-com
 * Carbons sent to: .usa
                    usa-tesla-at-usa-dot-net

Quoting Matt Zelonka <mattz-at-pond-dot-com>:

> How about the motor run caps, there are 660v AC and From my
> understanding they are pretty tough.. I dont know what the Q is
> on this critters but in vacuum tube tech. (Hollow state tech
> :)) paper in oil caps are pretty much desired by some the the
> tweaks.. I think the papar in oil ones have a high Q etc etc
> blah blah..

Not in this application. The Tesla tank circuit will eat oil
soaked paper dielectrics for snacks. If the caps don't fail
completely right away, they will fail any performance
expectations you might have had for these capcitors in this
application. IMHO, paper ranks near the bottom of the list in RF
pulse discharge applications.

> The motor run caps a pretty big and have top lugs etc wouldnt
> stacking 20-30 or so up be pretty good and use a bleeder
> resistor system for some equalization?

This is workable, but those bleeder resistors are bleeding Q off
the system. Also, with so many capacitors in series the pulse
discharge performance is also sacrificed.

I don't mean to be discouraging. There is a wide gap between
workable and "ideal". Your ideas are most definately workable.

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12