[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Capacitor Construction

 * Carbons Sent to: usa-tesla-at-usa-dot-net

Quoting "James M. Watson" <oldradio-at-cheney-dot-net>:

> The most immediate concern that I have is making the proper
> connection when constructing a flat stacked plate capacitor;
> the type that you mentioned in your message dated 28 Aug 1995,
> subject:  CAPACITOR INFO.  The concern that I have is in making
> the connection between alternating plates and some type of bus
> bar within the container.  Aluminum foil would be cheap, but
> making the connections might be kind of tricky.  Copper plates
> would be very expensive, but the connections would be very easy
> to make.  I would appreciate any suggestions that you would
> care to make.

As long as the connections are physically secure, you should not
have much of a problem. Stacks of aluminum foil tabs can be
clamped, stapled, twisted, or crimped to the buss. These
connections are usually made under oil so sharp points, rough
edges, etc., are not causing excessive corona losses and
flashover problems. The oil will prevent corrosion problems where
AL/CU connections are required. If the connection is faulty you
will notice carbon soot floaters form in the oil tank. This soot
results when arcing occurs due to a weak or intermittent
connection. If you fire the cap for a few moments then stop to
examine the sooty tank you will find the source of any carbon
plumes easy to locate. Once located you can start a small syphon
to vacuum out any contaminated oil and tighten the faulty
connection.

> Instead of constructing the whole capacitor in one bucket, I
> plan on constructing individual capacitors within sections of
> PVC;  the individual capacitors will be connected externally,
> in series or parallel, as needed.  Good idea, or waste of time?

Sounds good to me.

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12