[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HV transformers and spark gaps

>Thanks for the reply Steven.
>         I'm new to coiling but not new to high voltage. I've been a
> Broadcast engineer for almost 30 years. Admittedly, the currents are
> lower in most transmitters. 15 kv and 2 to 7 amps. Maybe I will take
> your advice and start with a couple of neon sign transformers.

Smaller coils are a little less daunting, and a coil that produces a 24" or
36" discharge still looks pretty impressive running in your basement.
Whatever you decide, though, you'll have a boatload of fun getting it all
together and tweaked to your satisfaction.

Even if you do start with a smaller coil and neon sign transformers, if
you aspire to 10' arcs you would do well to pick up a pole transformer
for future use if you can get it for a decent price.  Also, if you live near
Maryland, I could think of at least one person who would be interested
in obtaining one (hint, hint) and even has a pickup truck to haul it away
in :-)

Steven Roys (sroys-at-radiology.ab.umd.edu)